If there’s one thing that professionals in the world of Human Resources do not need more of, that is certainly it. However, due to the nature of their role, they face many stress-inducing situations each day.
One situation that can cause a tremendous amount of stress for an HR representative is handling and responding to employee misconduct. While each instance will differ, taking a consistent approach to how these situations are handled can bring benefits.
Here are seven steps that can guide your company as it deals with employee misconduct.
- Gather all the facts about the incident
- Use investigatory suspensions
- Do not make termination decisions alone
- Keep the situation in context with the employee’s history
- Deal with situations as soon as possible
- Keep your goals in mind when disciplining
- Maintain all documentation related to the incident
It is true handling and responding to employee misconduct will never be a desirable task. However, following a consistent procedure can help the process go smoothly and help you avoid further problems.
I hope that you find these 7 steps helpful in that endeavor!