According to a report published by the Society for Human Resource Management (SHRM), employees get about 90 days to prove themselves in a new job.
To help employees get to the stage where they can start being productive, employers need an onboarding process that makes employees feel comfortable and settled as quickly as possible.
One way to do that successfully — and on a consistent basis — is by developing a video presentation for new hires.
What is a Video Presentation?
A video presentation is a pre-recorded resource that may incorporate text, pictures, animation, audio, video clips, and interactive elements. By incorporating a variety of components, a video presentation can be both dynamic and interactive.
Because a video presentation will reside online, it can easily be distributed to new hires no matter where they may be located.
What the “New Hire” Video Presentation Should Contain
When planning a video presentation that is tailored for new employees, there are a number of items that a company may want to consider including. That list may be developed by answering questions such as:
- How should we describe our employee benefit programs and plans
- What steps do employees need to take to enroll?
- What are the common questions or issues that recent new hires have asked or run into?
- Do we have corporate policies that need to be shared with new employees?
After answering questions such as those, a company could start mapping out what content needs to be included in the presentation.
Utilize Your Creative Side
Once you’ve determined what message must be delivered, it’s important to get creative.
- Rather than simply developing a presentation that is completely full of titles and bullet points, you’ll want to create and utilize a variety of assets onto your slides.
- In regards to existing assets that you may have already, you may want to include pictures of your building or key staff. You may also want to include logos of carriers and forms related to your benefit options.
- Also, keep in mind that you will be recording an audio track that will be played over your slides. This may enable you to reduce the amount of text that is displayed on each slide.
By putting forth the effort to include multiple forms of media in these presentations, the information that you’re sharing will have a deeper impact on the new employees that are viewing them.
How to Utilize Video Presentations
Once you’ve developed a video presentation that is tailored for new hires, it’s important that you make it a key component of your orientation process.
While it certainly should be played during any formal training sessions that occur during the employee’s first few days, it also can be distributed to them via email.
Because video presentations are hosted online, new employees can watch them immediately from their PC or laptop, or also from a mobile device, including a smartphone and tablet.
Ready to Improve Your Onboarding Process?
I hope that you are excited about the positive benefits that a video presentation can bring to your company. At CBG Benefits, we can help you to develop one that truly meets the needs of your company and of your new employees.